Pictures by Everafter Portraiture 479-633-5126
Choosing outfits for family pictures is hands down the most stressful part of the process! I know I am not alone in this. I hear it all the time from my friends. Here is the thought process I go through as I plan our wardrobes and I usually love how they turn out (assuming the kids cooperate)
- Figure out the setting and the general color scheme you want to go with.
- What is the vibe I want to give dressy, casual, ? Do I want the picture to convey a specific season or holiday?
- I generally dress my husband and I more understated (solids or small prints) and my kiddos with more interest.
- Incorporate different textures. I incorporated as many different textures as I could metallic, fur, embroidery. These elements really enhance the quality of your pictures!
- Mix Patterns, I mixed floral, argyle, and plaid and it all worked!
- Layer up! For fall and winter pictures, layering looks best! Add vests, jackets, tights, and knee socks, etc.
- Choose outfits that match your kid’s personalities. While I want our pictures to be seamless and tell a story, I want them to reflect who we really are. For instance, my oldest is a no frills, sporty girl. So I put her in high top sneakers and basically a t-shirt dress.
- Make sure your outfits go with your surroundings. We took our pictures at a Christmas tree farm, so obviously our outfits needed a winter, Christmas feel
- Don’t be matchy match. I know back in the day it was cool for everyone to wear jeans and a black shirt. Make it interesting with colors and patterns! Your photos will be way more fun and have personality!
- Try not to be overly stressed! If I get really worked up, then so do my kids and that makes it harder for everyone! Just remember you are making memories! Last year my son was 18 months old and he threw a fit for most of the session. The girls and I just acted like we were playing with him and it worked! See pic below
Photo by Everafter Portraiture 479-633-5126
I hope these tips will help make your wardrobe selections a little less stressful! The goal is to capture beautiful family shots that we can cherish and share with others! And I hope my ideas will make this easier Thanks for reading and good luck with any upcoming family photos! I am linking our outfits below