Shop my Swim Look
May is skin cancer awareness month. This is very personal to me because I was diagnosed with Basal cell carcinoma when I was 33. Luckily, this is the least dangerous/aggressive type of skin cancer, but it still requires additional treatment. I noticed a red bump on my cheek and I thought it was a pimple. After months it didn’t budge, so I made an appointment with my dermatologist. They biopsied it and confirmed that is was basal cell. I was really surprised by this diagnosis because I have never tanned my face and have always worn sunscreen. Apparently, redheads are the most likely to get skin cancer. Lucky me!!! I had a procedure called MOHS surgery where they removed a dime sized area of my cheek. They use a certain technique to minimize scarring and my results were truly amazing!! Even though I’ve always protected my skin, obviously I wasn’t doing enough. After this diagnosis, I got really intense about guarding my skin from the sun. Here are some tried and true life practices for me.
- I get yearly skin checks at my dermatologist
- I never leave the house bare faced. I always have makeup with an SPF or at least a tinted moisturizer.
- If I’m going to be outside for any extended amount of time, I wear a hat and big sunglasses. It may seem like I’m just trying to be fashionable, but I’m actually protecting my skin and preventing wrinkles!
- I reapply sunscreen hourly!! I know it’s hard to remember, but putting it on once isn’t enough! I put an alarm on my phone. Don’t forget to apply sunscreen to your lips and scalp (or where you part your hair)
- And do I really even have to say this anymore, but for gosh sake don’t get in the tanning bed.
- If I need color for an event, I get a spray tan or apply sunless tanner.
- I have a huge collection of cover ups that I wear until I actually get in the pool! There are some really cute ones right now!
Here are some of my favorite skin protection products. I really love COOLA products because they are “clean” , work well, and smell amazing!
I swear by summer accessories to protect my skin and I’m fine with looking stylish in the process. Here are a few of my favorites!
I hope these tips are helpful as you hit the pool or beach this summer! How diligent are you about protecting your skin? As always, thanks so much for following along!